Monday, October 20, 2008

Week 4 - Thing 8: RSS Feeds

RSS Freeds are one of those things I kept telling myself I would learn about and never did, until now! I signed up for Google Reader and decided to check all my favorite websites to see if they have RSS feeds, and it turns out that all of them do. Now instead of trying to navigate to every webpage that I want to check in the morning, I can log into my RSS aggregator and check everything from one page. I put in feeds for all of the news sites that I like to check each morning, as well as all my favorite webcomics.

I think that RSS feeds could help librarians, because there are feeds for website like School Library Journal, or Library Journal, which can help them keep up with professional reading. There are also feeds for tons of magazines, which can keep people up to date on new technology that might be used in the library. I know that some blog sites have groups dedicated to libraries/librarians, if these have RSS feeds, then they could help librarians connect, and possibly help with any problems that a library/librarian could have. It seems like RSS feeds are just a very helpful tool, for any profession.

No comments: