Monday, October 20, 2008

Week 3 - Thing 7: Technology

The technology related thing that I decided to blog about is Pandora Radio and Hulu .

I love the fact that I can put in artists and songs that I like and it will play those, as well as coming up with other music that I might like based on what I give a "thumbs up", and if I don't like a song, I can give it a "thumbs down" and never have to hear it again. It's a lot more pleasant than listening to the radio in my car or at home, where I have to sit through songs I can't stand, commercials by the dozen, and djs who can be funny, but can also be very annoying.

Hulu is great because if I miss a show I really wanted to see, it's often up on their website the next day, and with much less commercial interruption. For an hour long show, there's usually just four 15 second commercials. Television stations have caught on to how convenient this is for people, many stations put full episodes of their shows online now as well. CBS is one of these stations (for anyone who loves NCIS - full episodes are up on their website!). Gone are the days when people could get their TVGuide and keep track of when shows are on, now they can be watched online at whatever time is convenient for you! I don't watch a lot of television, but there are a few shows that I love to watch every week, and it's nice not to have to worry about missing them, I can watch them at my computer whenever I have some free time.

Now that people are able to watch tv shows online, get their radio online, and with less commercials, and the ability to listen to just music they enjoy, I wonder if tv's and radios will become obsolete? When my stereo broke last year, I never replaced it. I now have an mp3 player for when I'm in my car, and my computer at home playing pandora. I also have a tv that's rarely turned on (and used mostly for DVDs). Maybe when the tv finally breaks I won't replace it either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could be on to something, but when our TV finally died, we replaced it with a very nice HDTV in part because it acts like huge computer monitor. I can watch those shows I missed on my TV just by plugging in a printer cable. Also very handy replacement for the vacation slideshow...now you can just plug your TV into your computer and throw up that Flickr slideshow. But, of course, unlike a regular computer monitor, I can still use it as a TV, or for VHS movies. So maybe obsolete someday, but I bet we'll all find that it's just more fun to plug all this stuff in to other stuff to make the optimal experience.

Kate said...

I am totally with you as a Pandora fan. It's so great, I can't believe it's free! I think a good portion of my Yule shopping is going to be CDs of previously unfamiliar musicians who have come up on Pandora.

If I can only persuade my son to quit editing my stations, I may never have to turn on the stereo again.