Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Week 8: Thing 14: del.icio.us

I have never heard of del.icio.us before. I did have fun playing on it though. To see how it differs from a regular search engine, I did a search for cupcakes (I like cupcakes). de.icio.us came up with different cupcake recipes, a blog devoted entirely to discussing cupcakes (complete with yummy looking pictures), and a clothing line called Johnny Cupcakes. Then I searched Yahoo for the same. The first listing is for a wikipedia entry on cupcakes, then several bakeries, and a few recipes.

In this instance, del.icio.us was more helpful, if I'm searching for cupcakes, it's more likely that I want to make them rather than buy them. And they had more recipes right off the bat (including one for Maple Bacon Cupcakes.

I had no trouble with the tags, mostly they were for ingredients or a city for a bakery. All in all, this seems like a pretty nice way to keep track of bookmarks, and to keep them organized.

I wasn't sure how this could be used for libraries (other than having patrons use it), until I looked at some of the library pages listed in the 23 Things. Libraries could use this to keep track of articles or webpages that pertain to library news (either for them, or other libraries around the nation), or helpful webistes, or local businesses, etc. Then they could post a link to their del.icio.us page on their website. That way, they won't have to go through and organize the links and post them all on their own website, they can just add new ones when they want to and use tags so that people can use them to find the link they want.

This could be useful as a research assistance tool. If someone wanted information a certain topic they could search for tags with it. Not all internet resources are accurate though, so I wouldn't really trust this as a research tool.

No comments: